Business Owners Should Practice Flood Preparedness
It is not uncommon for home and business owners to underestimate their flood preparedness, especially if they are not in an area historically known for flooding. However, it was recently reported that natural disasters involve flooding in 90% of instances and affect areas that are not typically known for flooding quite often.
Planning is a smart idea for business owners not only to increase safety within the workplace, but it can also serve to allow businesses to reopen more quickly after the flood passes. By planning ahead, business owners can have the peace of mind to know that they are ready should a flood occur.
How to Practice Flood Preparedness
Some key ways business owners can practice flood preparedness are:
- Make use of the Flood Map provided by FEMA to get an overview of flooding rates in your geographical location.
- Copy business documents and keep them in a secure location such as a waterproof safe or safety deposit box.
- Develop an official training guide for emergencies so employees can be educated and know what to do.
- Designate evacuation routes and mark them clearly.
- Consider adding flood insurance to your business policy, which does not typically include it.
- Create a personal emergency kit for your desk and an office-wide one in case someone is stranded.
- Find creative ways to raise electronics if necessary.
How to Prepare Documents for a Flood
As you begin the process of reopening the business after a disaster, having helpful documents will make the process much easier. Consider preparing and storing copies of the following:
- The continuity plan for after floodwaters recede
- Contact information for all employees, vendors, suppliers and any other parties that might need to be contacted right away
- Your insurance policy records and agent contact information
- Digital file backups and recovery instructions
- Financial documentation that may come in handy
If your business has experienced a flood, we are always here to help. Call us 24⁄7 to get our team of professionals to your business quickly so you can get back on track.